OEFFA organic farming convention and conference

      
      This past weekend I was lucky enough to be a part of the OEFFA convention. There were hundreds of organically and locally minded speakers covering topics from soil biology to more politically charged lectures on the ethics behind eating organic and locally. Among the inspiring empowering speeches, this quote really stood out.

“We truly believe that we were like many conventional farmers, using the chemical fertilizers and pesticides simply because we saw no other alternatives, but hating what it might be doing to us, our family, our land and our environment,” said Mary Howell. “We farmed traditionally because we had been told so often that it was the only way to survive in agriculture today.”

The Martens opened their own organic grain business in 1996, known as Lakeview Organic Grain. It has expanded significantly, now supplying more than 300 organic farmers in central New York, and is the state’s only organic feed mill and organic seed operation.  

Morningside Farm


Considering I don't plan on staying on my Dad's farm forever and eventually see myself working full time as an Art Teacher, I spent my time at the convention attending workshops that gave insight and tips for creating school gardens and improving school lunches. 

Picking tomatoes for market last summer.


Besides the amazing food (all local and organic) I was lucky enough to hear Joan Dye Gussow Speak. She has been a major influence on well know organic activists such as Micheal Pollan and Barbara Kingsolver. 


Joan Dye Gussow : Photo credit to Columbia University

The most important message I took away from the convention is that change in our food system and culture starts with yourself. Make the change in your life and show others it can be done.



No comments:

Post a Comment